Tuesday 15 January 2013

Anniversary Waltz Race Route - Sunday 6th January 2013

One of my favourite routes. As I drive North I am optimistic for some dry and clear weather, the Dodds are in full view, as is Grisedale Pike as I drop to Keswick, but it is not to be, the cloud and drizzle close in as I park at Stair.

Run out along the track to Newlands, the race map descibes this race as having the worst start and best finish of any; I diagree, the run out is a good warm-up and gets me into the race and, today, the training run.

The climb to Robinson goes well, but it is misty and the drizzle more wetting than I first thought. I take a compass bearing at the summit so that I get the correct race line and then soon pick up the trod and start the diagional climb to Hindscarth. Easy running from there to Dale Head and, again, another compass bearing to take me to the right of the tarn and the steady climb to Maiden Moor.

Fast running from there, some good direct race lines and the last short climb to Catbells. The race map description is correct about the finish, a great descent line and easy running down the track back to Stair. Brought back good memories of the 2012 race.

Then into Keswick, kit browsing and lunch in the Pedlar Cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment