Tuesday 29 September 2015

Stickle Tarn - Saturday / Sunday 26th & 27th September 2015

Two things have inspired me to wild camp tonight: firstly the stunning weather and, secondly, and more influential, my chat with Kate (Manager in The Epicentre, Ambleside). She's a self-confessed wild camper / bivvy girl, and loves every minute of it. 

So I get my kit sorted, decant my red wine, buy some bait and head off in Cali (not that I'll need my camper tonight but I can have a brew whilst I faff with kit). But where to, had originally thought Styhead Tarn and return walk to Esk Hause and Glaramara but it's a bit later than I had hoped, and although I know the route well and am happy to walk and pitch in the dark, part of the draw was to set-up before the sun sets. So perhaps to the Coniston, yes I have a plan. But as I head out of Ambleside, through Clappersgate to Skelwith I am drawn to the Langdales and soon find myself passing through Elterwater Common and parking at the ODG (feels a bit safer parking here overnight than NDG ??). Anyway, I'm glad I did head this way !

I have a brew and faff with my kit, well I do have a lot of it ! And then head up the left of Stickle Ghyll to the tarn. It must be about 6pm, the weather is stunning and it's a glorious place to be. There are some others already camping, I have a chat and they make me feel welcome; not wanting to encroach, I camp a short distance away but am welcomed into there evening. 

My intended solo, solitude seeking wild camp is in tatters but the warmth of like-minded people far outweighs this; it's a great evening, the wine, the whisky and then the Jagermeister flows and there's even talk of a midnight swim in the tarn....fortunately it doesn't go beyond talk.....of course I was up for it :-) :-). 

The sky is completely clear and the moon is so bright, even have a walk up to the wee tarn above the main tarn, no torch required, and a wander to remember ! :-)

Eventually I hit the sack, it's s chilly night and followed by a fantastic sun rise and cloud inversion....what could be better. Breakfast alfresco and chat with my new friends, then we part company and head in different directions. I head up to Blea Rigg and a steady undulating walk to Silver Howe and back along the valley. 

Well what a fantastic trip, I wanted to connect to the fells again, wild camp as I have in the past, perhaps back to my roots, no running or racing but out walking and enjoying the fells. Friends made and hopefully will meet again sometime....Boxing Day dip in the North Sea, count me in, I'm tough enough !!! :-) 








3 comments:

  1. Don't go thinking we've forgotten the Boxing Day dip. And get yourself on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice to have met you and have enjoyed reading about your adventures X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really great to have me you too. Glad you like reading my Blog, will be updated later, I've just found some wifi.....in the Highlands this week.

    Hope you've been out enjoying the fells.

    And as for that Boxing Day dip, I really don't remember that conversation :-)

    ReplyDelete