Sunday 12 May 2013

Scotland Trip - Monday 6th - Friday 10th May 2013

Monday 6th

My original plan had been to head off on an overnight expedition, loop round the North of Mullardoch on the first day, camp at the far end, and then head back over the South loop on the second day; this would have taken in the 4 unclimbed munros on day 1 and picked up 2 more on the South; however, a far from perfect forecast and swollen rivers to to ongoing thawing of large snow fields ruled this out.

By chance, I got chatting with two other Munro climbers the night before, they had arranged with Angus, the boat man, to get the boat from the dam to the outflow of Allt Choire a'Mhaim and loop back over the summits to the dam, anther guy was also due to be on the boat. This sounded a a good B plan so after a call to Angus I was booked aboard and would meet at the dam for 9:30 departure.


The cloud was down, it was wet and cold, so this B plan was making a lot of sense......£20 well spent ! To be honest, the walks over the 4 munros (An Socach, An Riabhachan, Sgurr Na Lapaich and Carn Nan Gobhar) was fairly uneventful. I never got to see much and the path, higher up, was still covered in thawing snow. Route finding was a bit tricky in places and map and compass were often in use. The descent from the third summit was a bit hairy in places but best keep that to myself.

Will definitely head back this way in better weather and do the overnighter that I had originally planned.

Tuesday 7th

Unfinished business to be done in Glen Affric; I had tackled this route a few years ago and after a very long walk in and the first summit climbed I turned back; conditions were not great, steep descent covered in snow and ice and no crampons or ice axe with me; I had one of those rare uneasy feelings and listened to this; the walker back was not much quicker than I had I carried on, but at least safe !

The cloud was down to start but forecast to lift and this soon happened. It was a long, boggy a trudge in along the Abhain Gleann nam Fiadh and I was glad to reach the stalkers path to climb higher and on to dryer ground. Still snow patches to cross but joining the ridge the views were fantastic, the cloud had lifted and the sun was strong. A great ridge leads from here to Carn Eighe (1183m), interesting in places with plenty of exposure and steep snow. The summit is a very isolated place and I had yet to see any others walkers so far this week, and nor was I too all week !



Being Fhionnlaidh is even more remote and lies about a mile along a ridge, what a great place to be on a day like this; I could see down to where I would have camped, this looked good for another time but the river looked serious and I doubt it would have been safely crossable. There was little choice but to head back the same way, unfortunately the boggy trudge couldn't be avoided but what a day.



 
It was good to get back to camper, pot of tea and cake and still glorious sunshine.

Wednesday 8th

So I head further North, to Glen Carron; again I had planned an overnighter here but despite a reasonably looking day the wind was horrific. From Craig, I had a 4 mile walk in in a good forest track, so wish I had brought my mountain bike ! I followed the Allt a'Chonais as far as the Allt Leathad an Tobair and having crossed the wire bridge I headed up to the Bealach. The wind, in places, was seriously strong and I was concerned how it would be on the summits and the intervening ridge ! 


I was right to be, the climb to Sgurr Choinnich went ok but the ridge to Sgurr A'Chaorachain was hairy, actually just flippin dangerous - at one point I was clinging to a rock and then had to lurch to another in order to make any progress; at other times I just flat and even resorted to crawling, a real relief to reach the summit and safety if the shelter cairn.


The cloud was still high so it was easy to navigate, if only as easy to move ! I headed due North, windy but not as much and soon dropped steeply down to the relative shelter and safety of the glen. It was a long walk out back down the glen (and past the location of my first LAMM overnight camp - the day there was a blizzard !).

Tea back at the camper again tasted good, I felt like I had been in a tumble dryer for the last 4 hours !!

Thursday 9th May

The wind has dropped, thank goodness. I head back to Craig and tackle another big day out on some very remote munros. Bidean a'Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhor. I have the same 4 mile walk in and the same climb to the bealach. But then head south towards the Corbett, Beinn Tharusinn and contour this on the west side to another bealach and then a steep drop to yet anotehr bealach. From here the first munro is imposing, steep cliffs but an intricate path winds its way through these, up sloping shelves and clefts to beautiful tiny tarns and then a narrow ridge to the summit. What a wild and isolated place to be. The route from here to Lurg Mhor is easy going but even further into the wildness. I have a choice from here, return the way I came or drop due North from the bealach between the two summits towards Loch Monar and a climb back up to the the first bealach. My legs are tired, I decide the latter is marginally less climbing and slightly shorter. The descent is quick and easy but the trudge to the bealach is hard work and takes time. From there the long walk out again back to the camper, another two munros climbed....mission accomplished.




But its not over just yet, I have my usual cups of tea and cake and then decide to head to Loch Carron for the night. I have heard of the Wee Campsite in the village and it's just 10 miles as opposed to 20 miles back to Kinlochewe. The plan fails, as I come into the village a sign for the campsite has anotehr sign over it saying "Closed"....this is not good, it's then a 30 mile drive to Kinclochewe, I make there just before 8pm (when the campsite closes) and to the Whistle Stop Cafe soon after 8pm (it also closes at 8pm) but manage to order food and enjoy and very good and much need dinner.


Friday 10th May

I head home; it's been a successful but tiring and lonely trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment